At work we often deal with stressful situations. Dealing mindfully with stress at work has many advantages. So how do you stay mindful at work? To begin with, it is helpful to commute mindfully. Here are some tips for when at the office:
- Consciously start and end your working day. Take a moment at the start of your work day to have a look at things you want to do that day, and end the day with taking some time to evaluate what you have done that day. That way you will be able to keep track of your work, and it helps you to actually leave your work at the office and not worry about it at home.
- Do one thing at a time. Multitasking is tempting if there are many things that have to be finished, but it is actually inefficient and it increases chances that you will get distracted and stressed.
- Be early for meetings. Make sure that you take enough time to arrive at your meetings, so you don’t need to hurry to get there and you start the meeting more relaxed.
- Unplug from work during lunch. Use your lunch to really unwind for a moment, that way you’ll be better able to perform afterwards. And eat mindfully (more on that in a later post).
- Use time-outs. Schedule short periods formal mindfulness meditation to use as a check-up on how you are feeling. These can last as short as there minutes and there are many mindfulness apps for your phone to help you with that.
There is a lot more to say on how to be mindful at work, of course, and as with practicing mindfulness in general, the most important thing is to just start practicing. Are you looking for help to be more mindful at work? This fall we will organise a new mindfulness training that gives plenty of opportunities for practicing mindfulness, both at home and at work. Check our webpage, or subscribe to our news letter!